Friday, February 3, 2012

Judgement

I always wondered what made me act the way I do when interacting with others.  Especially when it has to do with first impressions, or speaking with beautiful or intelligent people.  People I have assumed that are better than me.

Obviously, I am very self conscious to the point were it is slightly unhealthy.  The mental breakthrough I had was far more complex than just realizing how self conscious I am.

I was sitting in DBT class.  DBT has developed into an important aspect of my life to the point where going isn't really an option; its more like a necessity.  However, the beginning of my epiphany occurred right before class when I was in therapy (both are at the same location which I love). 

We began discussing why I think that people are ALWAYS judging me.  I gave an example of how irrationally paranoid I get when I am driving and someone else is in the car.  I hold my breath and drive like an overly cautious 75-year old because I automatically think my driving is being judged.  However, the example I provided is mild compared to the rest of what I assume other people are judging me on. 

First, I was born with one dominant eye and one very weak eye.  Basically I rarely use both eyes when fixated on a specific object or having a conversation with someone.  Television causes my eyes to cross because the left eye basically says, "Fuck it, this is too difficult."  In addition, my eyes occasionally cross especially when I am tired.  It doesn't effect activities such as driving because my brain is very aware that I need to use both of them an my peripheral vision is "fine."  Driving at night is a bit difficult though.

Second, when I was in High School I auditioned and made the Dance Team (not to be confused with chearleading) and we performed and basketball games and at competitions.  After my freshman year I was told that I was too fat to make the team the following year so basically I was kicked off.  It was basically advertised that I was a fat ass all around the school and I was a huge joke...This cross-eyed girl that was a good dancer but too fat has been banned to dance for the school team.  I was horrified.  I obviously would have been fine if I just didn't make it but instead I was literally told "You are too fat to be on the team next year...we want taller, slender girls with smaller breasts that don't bounce."  I cried myself to sleep.  I had danced my whole life.  I didn't know I was considered to be a fat dancer.  I weighed 140 lbs with a muscular build.  I will say that my chest was "very well blessed."  But at that time, I didn't want my breasts.  I wanted to rip them off and throw them away. 

So, if that didn't sting enough, my anorexic mother told me she wanted to take me to get a breast reduction and put me on diet pills.  I did not get the reduction but I did do what my mom told me to do regarding the pills and was taking 12 pills a day (chromium, ephedrine, laxatives, and diuretics).  She also told me I should eat cabbage every day and when I got the shits she let me have a potato.  I did not lose that much weight.  I spiraled out of control and started ordering double lunches in the cafeteria, getting fast food and getting rid of the evidence, and when I was home, I would hide in the closet and eat.  I was so depressed that I started eating chocolate chips and butterscotch morsels for baking.  Sometimes I even hid and ate a bag of brown sugar or candy.  Basically, I became an "over eater" because my body was so confused and I was pretty fucked up in the head.  Since I was dancing 2-4 hours a day and weight lifting, I only gained like 5lbs and no one knew what I was hiding and doing.  The damage was done.  I have had an issue with food my whole life.  I can't stop at 2 cookies or 1 piece of pizza.  I have to coach myself to make correct decisions and count calories otherwise, and I'm not joking, I will eat 5,000 calories per day...sometimes more. 

I still fall off the wagon to this day because my brain just does not understand self control.  When I stopped working last year and was so depressed I quit exercising I gained 35lbs and QUICK.  I rarely got out of bed.  I still have issues today with over eating but I am back to exercising 4-5 days a week.  I've lost 4lbs and I don't care how long it takes to lose more, I want to make better decisions again without being obsessive.  I deserve to be healthy even though those women, including my mother, fucked me up in the head about my body image.

Last, I am constantly afraid of people looking at me because I am convinced they are judging me for my crooked teeth.  I still have a baby tooth and it jacked with the left side of my smile.  I don't want braces though because they are expensive and I don't want them to pull the baby tooth and have a hole in my mouth until brackets can pull the permanent tooth down.  I was already told it would take years.  I realize that its my decision to keep what I have but I am still self conscious about it. 

So, combine those three things (especially the second one) and I am convinced that every person I interact with is staring at my fat rolls, laughing at my crossed eyes, and grossed out by my teeth.  I have hated myself since all of this stuff happened over the years.  Miserable.  Embarrassed.  Just plain shitty.  I literally avoid eye contact or constantly move my hair around trying to cover one eye or put my hands in front of my mouth.  I look completely ridiculous and twitchy with all of this going on.  Then it snowballs into being embarrassed about being embarrassed and its a vicious circle continues.  I am actually annoyed by it. 

So I broke it down, made a list, and then had a conversation with myself in the mirror about how I can make an effort to change each of these issues or just accept the way I was made.  It's the beginning of this process, but I want to love myself again.  I truly hope it comes true because for the first time since I was diagnosed I think I deserve it.  Its about damn time that I broke this down and took a hard look at what causes my anxiety.  I am in control of so much more than I ever thought and I must say, its a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for listening,

Truthaboutcrazy

No comments:

Post a Comment